Search This Blog

Thursday, June 23, 2011

2011 TransAtlantic

So this Sunday, June 26th, I will set sail aboard Nordwind, an 88 ft. yawl bound for Cowes, England as a part of the Trans Atlantic Race. I was lucky enough to catch a last minute ride on the boat thanks to a friend I race with on Elan, a Benetau 36.7. One of the crew broke a rib horseback riding last weekend and had to drop out for the race so in an effort to find a last minute replacement I got the call! Needless to say since I got the call at noon on Monday my life has been a whirlwind of preparation. I had already been teased with the thought of joining the race when I was offered a spot on the boat a few weeks ago but had it withdrawn when the owner decided to bring 5 people instead of 3.

I end my internship with Diprete Engineering this week and I will be putting off starting to coach at Weekapaug YC until I return. While they were not exactly happy that I would be missing the first week or 2 of the program, everyone down there is very excited for me and like all of you is waiting to hear my tales of the high seas.

I am only allowed to pack one bag and have to fit everything I need for 3 weeks of harsh cold weather sailing into it, along with a full set of dress clothes for our reception in England. When we arrive in England, hopefully in not much more than 2 weeks, I will be doing my best to hop on the first flight out so I can get back to my coaching job. I'm sure though that I'll have a little time to enjoy myself on land over there :-)

For the duration of the trip I will be sending short blog updates every day or two and I will post all of my pictures when I get back to the states.

Be sure to follow us on the race tracker via the link on the right!

No comments:

Post a Comment