Search This Blog

Friday, July 27, 2012

Across the Labrador Sea

Position 55o34'.27N 054o18'.11W Course over ground(COG) 003o Speed over ground (SOG) 7.0kts. Temp. 8.6C 98% Humidity. Raining. We are finally making headway North and East! We are well underway across the Labrador Sea on our way to Greenland and it has been nothing but cold, foggy, rainy and generally wet since we left Canada...the low temperature yesterday, and so far for the trip, was 7.4C which I think is somewhere around 45F. For all the talk that went around before I left how temperatures in the 40s aren't so bad I have decided that it's a load of crap. 40s is freaking cold, especially when its wet. That being said, yesterday completely justified every bit of clothing and gear I bought and packed for this trip. My new Helly Hansen professional grade Offshore Jacket and Ocean Trousers are fantastic and keep me very dry. I'm currently wearing 5 thermal layers on top under my jacket; a t-shirt, 2 longsleeves, a midweight quarter zip top and a heavyweight fleece quarter zip top and I'm wearing fleece pants under my spray pants. No sense in being cold right? The thick insulated lobstering gloves I bought have also been fantastic and keep my hands warm and dry. The depressing and slightly discouraging thing we all realized yesterday though is that we're only at latitude 55 and we are headed up into the 70s...if its this cold now, it's only going to get worse, but hopefully the rain stops. I hate rain. We have a little over 500 miles to go from hear to Nuuk, which is the capital of Greenland. Nuuk has a whopping population of 15,000 which hopefully means that they have some semblance of a supermarket. Everything is going well onboard as we are finally settling into a steady watch system. Our watches are 4 hours each from 8am to 8pm and then three hours each during the night from 8pm to 8am. Night however is getting shorter and shorter, it's light until after 10pm and by 4am it's completely light out. Like I said, we're headed North and we're all doing our best to stay warm as we do. I haven't had to resort to my sleeping bag yet, but I think that's the next step either today or tomorrow. I've been good so far with just a sheet, a fleece blanket and a wool blanket on top. Off to bed in a half hour, hopefully I'll still be cozy and warm. Cheers, Andrew

No comments:

Post a Comment