Search This Blog

Thursday, July 19, 2012

Fruit and fiberglass

Sorry to cut short last time, I was coming off watch and I had to get out of the way. We are in St. Petersburg, NS right now on the south side of Cape Breton Island. Our plan was to cut through the Bras d'Or Lake but unfortunately there is some discrepancy about the height of a power cable over the canal and we're not sure if we will fit so we're not risking it. So we are spending the night anchored here, and moving up around the coast tomorrow. We are expecting favourable winds from the SW beginning on the 22nd so we are planning to wait until then to cross to New Foundland. Up until now we've kind of just been poking our way along waiting for the right weather. We've also been eating a lot of fruit and vegetables while we still can. I think we've had multiple servings of vegetables with every meal so far and fruit for snacks and desert. Yesterday was a bit of a work day and I was tasked with the job of wrapping one of our heater stovepipes with fiberglass cloth to insulate it, which left one of my pairs of sailing gloves covered in fiber...no fun. Today was our first real day sailing and it was so nice to have 20 kts off the stern and cruising along. ANDDDDDD during my morning watch we saw 3 humpback whales breach off our port side! We saw one the first time around 6:00 and then two more at 8:00 all less than 50 yds away, IT WAS SO COOL. I'll do my best to get some pictures up at the next town we stop in!

No comments:

Post a Comment