Search This Blog

Sunday, July 3, 2011

1 Week

So today marks 1 week from when we started. My immediate reaction would be that it doesn´t feel like its been a week, but then when you think about it we have been here a while...and we still have quite a while to go. We surpassed the 1000 mile yesterday morning which means we still have over 2000 to go...here´s to hoping for some more wind and faster speeds. We are approaching the Flemish Cap for all you Perfect Storm buffs, and I gotta say this is one hell of a far distance to go on a fishing boat out of Gloucester. We are in pea soup fog and have been since yesterday afternoon. As far as I can tell we are on the edge of the world. The wind has been in and out, up to 20, and right now its basically nil. Makes for a wholeeeeeeee lot of fun. We are currently flying our asymmetric spinnaker off of the pole and we have the main down because on this deep of an angle in light air it does nothing but bounce around. On the back of the boat we have our mizzen main up with the womper (big oddly shaped mizzen spinnaker). Our watch schedule allowed for my first night as a real person in quite some time last night, we got off at 10pm, I had a nice steak and potato dinner, brushed my teeth and went to bed. Slept for 6 hours almost undisturbed (I made the power play and moved some stuff to the closet and slept on the top bunk :-) ) and then I woke up, had a nice bowl of cinnamon toast crunch with some blueberries and came on watch to get my morning workout of grinding winches and moving sails around. It is now almost 8 am and I am ready to go back to bed. Seeing as tommorrow is July 4th Cameron and I are planning on a traditional celebration and will be cooking up some burgers and hotdogs for dinner...Not sure if we´ll have a fireworks show, I´m pretty sure shooting off flares can send the wrong impression...

Thats all for now,

Cheers!

Andrew

No comments:

Post a Comment