Search This Blog

Saturday, July 9, 2011

Ready Get Stuck

816 miles. This last 1000 is going to be, scratch that, is painful. We are stuck right in between 3 systems, I´m not quite sure how or why, as I try to keep out of the weather discussions as much as I can. All I do know is that we are fighting to stay in the breeze, and we aren´t necessarily winning. I just got off my shift behind the wheel during which I pinched us a bit too high trying to hold the breeze and accidentally tacked us...and then gybed I think. We got to see Hans in his underwear work his magic and get us back on course. The man really is a magician with this boat, he can make her do exactly what he wants perfectly to the point where it makes you feel like quite the bone head for not being able to do it yourself. Exactly 1 hour after my mishap I just watched almost the exact same thing happen to Santi while at the wheel. I am trying so hard to bite my tongue because I know for myself and for Santi we stayed within 10 degrees of the course and for the simple reason that we are stuck in a shifty hole that the wind sometimes just disappears and then comes back. It´s called a puff. The problem is it disappears, Hans wakes up from the rocking and the sails flogging, then the wind comes back by the time he is out of bed and on deck to lecture us about how the wind never changes and the instruments are bullshit bullshit bullshit and it is just always the helmsman who screws up. Blah Blah Blah sometimes the wind just shifts. It happens. I left us with a nice little S turn on our tracker, oh well, about a week ago Cameron spun us in a circle so now we´re even. On a completely different note, for those of you who watch South Park I had creme friache on my fruit cup for desert tonight...hahahaha creme friache.

Hoping we can squeeze through these highs and lows and make it England sooner rather than later...

-Andrew

No comments:

Post a Comment