Search This Blog

Sunday, July 10, 2011

Summer Camp From Hell

This is the determination Cameron and I have made. The similarities between life on this boat and some obscure and obscene summer camp experience is uncanny. We don´t get nearly enough sleep and we are constantly woken up at odd hours of the night by strange sounds, etc. The food is edible, but you never really know if its going to be good from one day to the next. There is always a jug of some sort of colored juice available, for us the options are usually red or pink. There are different activities to do during the day, some people do leatherwork, others work on sewing projects, study the weather, drive the boat, etc. There is down time to read a book or relax. And the BIG reminder that you are at summer camp is the constant, constant barrage of camp songs that are sung out of tune extremely loudly at all times of the day. And of course I miss my mommy and my own bed.

Right now we are once again moving very slowly, I had the real crappy hour of driving for our watch this morning, Alex drove 1st and got a nice little squall so he was able to do 8-9 kts for a little while, then he turned it over to me right as the squall was passing so I got the fluky calm that came after in which all I could really do was keep the boat headed in the right direction while all the gauges read 0. As soon as I turned the wheel over to Santi the breeze came up and he had us moving along at 7-8 kts again. Cameron is on the wheel now and the breeze is back down a bit and we are only doing 4 kts. We did however just break into the last 700 miles to Lizard pt...so its like we basically just started a Newport to Bermuda race. I´ve come to the determination that at least after this race any other distance sailing I do will seem like a breeze because most other races only last a week max. And now that I have these sweet boots I need to justify keeping them so I have to keep doing some sort of ocean sailing, although I guess they´ll be good for shoveling snow in the winter too.

Current display:

Lizard
081 deg.
699.2 nm
200h 4m 44s

No comments:

Post a Comment