Search This Blog

Thursday, July 14, 2011

Finish Please!

I´m ready to be done. We are stuck in the Irish Sea with no wind and 159.6 miles to go to Lizard pt. and then another 150 to Cowes, the later of which at least we can motor at 7 kts for...that´s still another 20 hrs or so though. We have less than 5 kts of wind right now and although it is quite nice out and beautiful and sunny and calm, I think we are all ready to be off this boat. Cameron and I have started playing a lot of gin rummy to pass the time, a lot. In the past 24 hours I also watched the entire HBO series The Pacific, and I´m halfway through a huge book that I really only halfway enjoy reading. I´ve listened to all the music I like at least 10 times and all the music I don´t like at least 5 times. I´ve even gotten tired of eating chocolate, but I´m powering through on that one.

Do I enjoy ocean racing yes. Was this a good experience, well it was an experience that´s for sure, and yea I suppose it was a good one. I am definitely glad that I am on a comfortable boat eating good food instead of cramped on a smaller boat running out of freeze dried food and granola bars right now. That being said, I think I´m going to stick to races that take less than a week. Anything longer than that should be done in a cruising fashion, where you have no commitment on the other end and can take your time and enjoy it. I´m also ready to be able to understand the conversations that are going on around me again, that´d be really nice. I´m looking forward to getting home and getting back in the rythymn of things, I´m excited to get back to coaching and being on a boat with a motor I´m allowed to turn on. Sleeping for more than 4 hours will be nice too.

Andrew, out.

No comments:

Post a Comment